This hearty, healthy broth is a great way to use up pumpkin and other veg such as courgettes and carrots.....
1. First, make the stock. Dissolve the Knorr Vegetable Stock Pots in 1.2 ltr of boiling water, stirring until thoroughly dissolved. Place the Knorr Vegetable Stock in a large saucepan and bring to a gentle simmer.
2. In a separate large heavy-based saucepan, heat the olive oil. Add in the onion and garlic and fry for 1–2 minutes over a high heat, stirring constantly so that they soften but don’t brown at all.
3. Add in the carrot and celery and cook for 2–3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add in the tomato puree – this will give the soup a great colour – and cook over a medium heat, stirring constantly to mix in well.
4. Bring the simmering Knorr Vegetable Stock to the boil and add to the onion mixture. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
5. Add in the drained butterbeans and simmer for 10 minutes, then add in the pumpkin or butternut squash, bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
6. Add in courgettes and thyme, bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 5 more minutes. Adding fresh thyme gives a lovely flavour to the broth.
7. Check that the vegetables are cooked through; you want them tender, but retaining texture.
8. If you are a fan of olive oil, you can drizzle your soup with a little extra olive oil just before serving
Greener Scotland would like to send you emails packed with news, hints and tips to help you live greener and to help create a cleaner, Greener Scotland. You can opt out at any time using the unsubscribe link at the bottom of the emails.